Selfkantlauf, Gangelt 2017

…. 4 runners, 4 winners, 1 podium

The third Selfkantlauf in Gangelt should be the first competition in 2017, in which some of my “Lustläufer” friends participated: Ralf, Jörg, Doris and me.image

With ambitious goals we drove in a good mood, highly motivated and well prepared to Gangelt. True to the motto “Completely no matter how fast we run - the main thing: be faster than 5!” We were just before 14 o'clock initially on the wrong side of the starting line. Once again it became clear that the first ones could quickly become the last, and we changed the side more or less coordinated. A bit late, the track started at 14:06.

Surprisingly for at least Jörg, who already knew the track, there was this time a completely new route: It was started with the Bambini round which was followed by two laps over the 10km.image

The start, the Bambini round, was a bit bumpy, because route was very winding on the first 2km, unfortunately. The 10km were quite pleasant to run: A beautiful route over fields and meadows, passed on many rivers and lakes. With about 190 altitude the 20km were rather entertaining. Even our animal friends were taken care of: llamas, longhorns and more were part of the route and the 200 runners of the half-marathon (and also those of the 10km run) partly ran past them only a few meters away. Also, when the sun and the very good weather were “well-intentioned” for this run, there were also two small downsides: with the rapid rise in temperature we had problems with the choice of clothes and I quickly realized that the long pants were the wrong choice. And on some sections of the track we had to deal with headwinds. Both not nice, but manageable and both were more than made up for by beautiful impressions and pictures.image

My first half-marathon: With a desired time of 1:45h the brand was not too low. “You’re too fast …. 4:30 …..” I still heard, but Ralf did not manage to slow me down. Unfortunately, he was already “gone” shortly after the start and my wish that he paid attention to the time did not go up. I put this on the winding start.

Of course, I could not keep this pace. Even though I had difficulties to slow down my pace, I ended up at 1:46:13. Happy but also “bombed-out”.
Ralf made it to 1:50:32 shortly after me, Doris followed with 1:53:54 and Jörg with a terrific 2:03:38.
Doris made it to the podium as the fastest of her age group, which of course will not be revealed here - congratulations!
The return trip was marked by confusions, because we supposedly turned in a circle. But I don’t recognize that and felt like in o fog, because of Ralf who “forced” me two beers.image

All in all, a terrific start to the year and for me an exhausting, but very nice first half-marathon!

Comments